Thursday, June 25, 2009

branching out?

This began a couple of weeks ago when someone got interested in my screenprinting and mentioned it could be applied to ceramics. Now, I already have a multitude of interests and don't have time for them all as it is, so I didn't really follow it up until they suggested a time and date and doing some samples. So I said, sure (cause learning new things is fun). Meanwhile my ceramics knowledge consists of a bit in highschool and a subject in 1st year uni where I made the most disgusting wheel thrown objects ever to be seen, and coupled with the fact that I put every single colour of glaze on each object......well, I was not destined to be a thrower....

Now these are the plates, printed on a flat and then shaped on a plate mould. They are not finished pieces, just samples (with the potter demonstrating background splatter). I think it would be interesting to make a mould and design a print specifically for that shape BUT I have enough things on, so I think I'll just stick with these bizarre set of four cracker plates....or maybe give them to my mum for her birthday or something (poor mum). Maybe one day I'll have a burning desire to print on clay, but it won't be anytime soon.

I just used screens I already had made up, so here are the works that they are from:
It's photographic silkscreen print on a fake suede (actually upholstery samples I found and kept for that one special project) with LOTS of little feathers glued on and embroidery.

iguanadonThe scientist: how can you resist an iguanadon in a lab coat?
This is me in front of my work, all are quite small pieces, due to the size of the samples, and the fact that I was pretty damn nauseous unable to work much, and Adelaide was going through a heatwave (again, didn't help the work or nausea)

I thought I'd have to pull out of the group show, but ended up finishing 8 pieces and even selling a few!

'I aim to have fun exploring the possibilities of fabric and print, and maybe shed some light onto the mysteries of dinosaur civilization.
A long time ago, an elite team of dinosaur scientists developed space travel technology and left on a mission of exploration into deepest space. Upon their return they discovered alarming changes had taken place on earth.....'

No comments:

Post a Comment