Wednesday, July 1, 2009

the workwear project


For a while I was making my husband's work shorts. I made them very slowly (not being as exciting as a frock), and he ripped and burnt holes in them before I made the next pair. I got obsessed with how to make a pair of shorts glassblower proof, or at least Tom proof.

This is the last pair I made, they've got a double reinforced back which I've quilted for extra strength (bike rider bum) and the pockets even have the contrast navy stitching that lines up with the back. The sides have reinforced strips covering the seams and pockets (where they always used to catch and rip) and then the ric rac detail over the top of it.




And then? Well, we came to a compromise (though I think he just gave up on me ever making him anything) and he started buying workwear and I didn't have to fight with heavy drill and break all my 100 size needles! It did need to be fancied up a bit, so here's some of the results.
Ric Rac and ribbons! That's what all the ribbons hanging down on my work board are for.. I just have to figure out a way to decorate the shorts without busting more needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment