Thursday, July 2, 2009

Student work


So as well as making clothes for people, I also do a bit of teaching. I currently have 2 students, a 10 year old and a 15 year old. It's been good practice getting used to being around kids again. Interesting and a bit daunting at times!

So this is M's work, she's been learning how to use her machine, and how to patternmake her creatures and generally learn how to sew so things will stay together. She's been making these really cool monster toys, and my project for her was to design one as a bag.

Here it is! It's got an appliqued face, and stuffed legs that dangle. There is an inside zip pocket (for those treasures that can't be lost) and also an elasticated pouch pocket that will fit lots of things, but we've been talking about how many apples it'll carry.
I quickly designed this bag to be quite a simple project that you can adapt really easily (and add lots of things on) and M decided to make it bigger, so we scaled it up, but I'm thinking I might make a couple smaller ones out of my knitting samples and see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Teaching kids. I taught a few kids at camp how to sew the summer after I graduated from college and it is a daunting task. Exhausting too. I still have the words, "my thread broke, can you come thread it for me?" ringing in my ears. Good for you for taking that on. It involves more patience than most people would believe!

    ReplyDelete