Wednesday, June 24, 2009

what I did during the renovating part 2

I know, very remiss of me, but time is really rushing past and I'm amazed how the days just slip away. It seems hard to do one thing, let alone several things, let alone finish random projects, but I'm getting back on that horse again, so hopefully the next couple of days will be full of posts!

While they were doing this:
Which Tom reckons it looks like they're miners down a pit...

I was doing these:

Onion dispenser bags! (except I only had one onion left, so oranges got to model, though you could have it as an orange dispenser)

Onions need to have air around them, and be in kinda the dark, but since our potato cupboard is frequently used to grow experimental new lifeforms (for the purpose of art of course) they can't really co-habit.

I was going through a 'how cool is flyscreen as a material' stage, and made up these. It's just a rectangle of flyscreen (plastic) some bias binding, some elastic and a bit of re-enforcing for the strap, I used scraps of leather I had lying around. The only trick is not to make them too long, because the onions get pretty heavy on the strap (my first one was over a metre, held more than 3k of onions, and didn't have re-enforcing on the strap...was a bit of an overkill...)

I made a normal sized one, and a slightly narrower one, for shallots possibly or picklers....take your pick, it's fun to dispense as well. These were for Helen, for her fantastic rendering work and DIY know-how. I've got a bit spare, so will be using up my excess with more bags soon!


We then sat down to Gremolata Osso Buco Pie with cheesy Polenta topping.
The grey render has now been professionally plastered over by a glassy friend as we figured it'd be much easier to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing then us cursing and making a mess of it. Now we just have to wait one more week and then painting - finally!



No comments:

Post a Comment