Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Mum, sorry it took so long.


This is a cross stitch that I started for my mother in 1996. Yes, that's right, 1996. She bought the pattern book, materials and notions because I promised her I'd do it for her. I've had it with me for the last couple of years, and have thought about dragging it out and finishing it for numerous birthdays and christmas' but to no avail.

This is me two weeks into the project, more than a month ago. Yes, you might wonder how long does it bloody take you to do a few leaves and flowers and the answer is -almost everynight for six weeks, or 13 years, depending on your maths.

I am a maker, but I am a one step removed maker. I am a printer rather than a painter, a drafter rather than a draper (in terms of patternmaking) and a machine sewer rather than a handsewer (same goes for knitting and embroidery). I love buttons, but don't like sewing them on. So that lack of patience, coupled with the fact that I had to figure out where I was up to when I stopped it all that time ago and figure out what mistakes I'd made, well, it was slow going.

But here is the finished piece: I started taking a bit of license at the end. I omitted the wheat stalks (since she picked it for the poppies and not the wheat) and added a bee character that I'd always drawn and printed on things for a bit of a personal touch. The actual finished piece is something like 15cm x 25cm.........like I said, not very impressive, but I finished it, and now am waiting to hear from mum to see if she even remembers it from all those years ago!


I also took the liberty of posting the pattern book of wildflowers to my Aunty Kathy, who I know has produced cross stitch before and also to save me from that crazy temptation in case I one day think, 'that wasn't too bad........ I could do another'

1 comment:

  1. I think it is beautiful!
    i knitted an afgahan once. It took me 5 years. I got to use it as a home economics project twice. The teacher figured it was good to finish the project rather then start something new.
    Congratulations on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete