Thursday, November 18, 2010

The cutest kids dress I've ever made

Not that I've made that many (apologies to my nieces who are now definitely out of little girls dresses, but at least they got some...!)

It's a little cotton number with ric rac and applique details. I especially like the ric rac stems going into the pockets!
It's the simplest one I've made, in terms of shape, previous dresses have been modelled on 1950's party frocks with double skirts and whatever left over shiny fabric I had in my stash (which was great fun, but they aren't really everyday wear). I've also learnt from using those old patterns to widen the necklines greatly so that the child doesn't feel strangled (apparently in the 50's children had either tiny necks, or weren't actually allowed to play or move!)

A easy pearly snap back yoke opening, and to extend it's life, it's got deep armholes for wearing over winter longs, and possibly even might make a cute top, if the chicadee still wants to wear it when she gets bigger! I made the pattern, so hopefully the proportions are right!

I also need to get some shots of Xi's new shorts. They are not complicated, but hopefully I'll be able to find some time to make a bunch amidst all the dewallpapering!

1 comment:

  1. hey i like that dress, too, although not for me.

    i also like the new look of the blog, fresh.

    ReplyDelete