Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walk Through


Okay, so here's a bit of a walk through of the house, though not in walking order!

Here's the back wall of the kitchen, with the previously displayed wallpaper, and sliding glass doors which we think are winners. (Latter, not former)
The kitchen. Note that it's got cool blue splash back tiles, warm brown food theme wallpaper on two walls, and fake wood wallpaper on the other wall. The room you can see through the way is going to be............the GAMES room!!! And drawing room!!!! But at the moment, it's an empty space with half exposed brick, and half wood panelling.

This is the back hallway entrance, with it's peeling wallpaper (I did that section to see what was underneath, with a view through to the laundry and bathroom/linen closet/toilet rooms.
This is Xi discovering he can crawl into kitchen cupboards, but not out of them!


This is the front room that will become the office/spare bedroom. Out of all the rooms with wallpaper, part of this might actually be kept as a feature (cause it's shiny :)
This room will be our bedroom.
This is our room after it met with me in my new respirator mask.

I ripped out the carpet in three rooms and the hallway yesterday. It was really good to get in and DO something.
I found out some interesting things, like how come they threw two cupboards in - they'd carpeted around them! They are sitting on older carpet! When we move them, I wonder what style it'll turn out to be?


This is the hallway carpet, with it's layer of horsehair underlay, an amazing amount of dust, and the original vinyl underneath.

This is what the front section of the hallway looks like: a mish mash of woods and thicknesses to create some really dodgy spots and a frankenstein's monster effect.
And this is what the second part of the hallway looks like - beautiful. I think we will have to figure out a way to make the first section nice, and polish it up. I was originally against polishing the floors, because I've lived in a house for five years with wood floors and with 5-7mm gaps in between the planks. It is not easy to clean, the nails pop up, and basically, I hate it.

But the opportunity to have a nice wooden floor??? hmmmmm

2 comments:

  1. Love it love it love it
    been meaning to phone - stuck in the middle of exams
    thinking of a quick visit in january maybe, if you are home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore a respirator mask like that too when we renovated the house and removed the old carpet. My kids told me I look like Darth Vader, LOL! Anyway, I had them wear face masks too since the old carpet was so dusty. I was afraid they’d inhale dust mites too even though I told them to stay in their rooms while I was removing the carpets. We also have wooden floors underneath and we decided to keep it that way since carpets gather a lot of dirt.

    Darren Gatti

    ReplyDelete